1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

One World Many Stories

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by SyWry, Mar 21, 2019.

1. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Most people write a story with certain world that they've built, then go on to make sequels and have each story build upon what is established in the first stories. Though how do you feel about where an author write many different loosely connected stories in one giant world. Stories that have completely different characters, themes, objectives, and locations to the point where the only thing connecting them is the world that they reside. How do you feel about this kind of writing? Do you think its fun to read stories like this where you slowly add upon the world with each story or is it not interesting or even boring to read so many stories in the same narrative world?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Momo Kiseki likes this.
  2. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I prefer this style. Its more interesting when you have a large, ever-expanding world in my book. Gives it more personality.

Momo Kiseki likes this.
  3. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Can Relate To This. Under My 'Dreamworld Universal' Series, It Was Happen In The Same Numerous Worlds Again And Again But With Different Stories.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Momo Kiseki likes this.
  4. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    When I used to write fanfiction, I had this idea in mind. I used to have many stories in my head and I would put them all into the same world. Each story had diferent characters with a diferent objective. The only way you'd know the stories are loosely connected, are by reading tiny hints that I would lay out.
    For example, let's say that in one story it was about a protagonist (Let's name him Bob for now) trying to become a Pokémon champion, and makes it into the finals in the tournament. Well, in a diferent story, this protagonist (Let's name this one Steve) will listen into a radio broadcasting the Pokémon league, and the radio host willbe narating the battle between Bob and his opponent. Steve wouldn't care much about the Pokémon league and continue doing whatever his story line is. It's not the greatest, but it's for subtle world building.

Momo Kiseki, Absolute Zero and Rezna like this.
  5. Pika

Pika Hiker

Topaz
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽335.9
    i think spin-offs like this are very fun and they really interest me; for instance, i love the little nods to half-life you find in the portal series! it's a really great way to expand a world without feeling tied down to a certain set of characters and make it feel lived in

Momo Kiseki likes this.
  6. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    That’s a really interesting way to build a cohesive world. I haven’t heard of a series that goes to such lengths, but I’d be happy to give one a shot!

Momo Kiseki likes this.
  7. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Connecting worlds can be a dangerous game. One quick example is that (or so I am told) Fortnite has Thanos from the Marvel comics universe in the game, while Fortnite the game exists in the world of Marvel comics. This suggests that the historic monster responsible for killing 50% of Earth's population not so long ago has been made into a video game character for funzies in the marvel universe, and somehow the game devs thought it was a good idea to actually make that expansion when that guy killed half of everyone's friends and family. Or the official Skyrim addon in which the Space Core from Portal crash-lands in Tamriel. Does this mean Tamriel is an actual place in our galaxy that spontaneously has humans just like earth-humans as well as elves and dragons and actual magic? A lot of implications there.

For this reason I think it's best that things are either separate or are entirely connected in a hub-world. Like in Super Smash Bros or Final Fantasy Dissidia taking place in a universe separate from their constituent parts so that the homeworlds aren't affected. If I write my Mega Man X and Nier Automata crossover fic, I'm going to put a lot of effort into finding a setting that doesn't make weird implications for either canon. If I overlap two Pokémon stories, I'm going to have to be fully cognizant that if I made Hoenn flood in one story, that catastrophe will have to have happened in my other story as well. I won't just touch my toes to the water, I need to go all-in or not at all.

SyWry, Momo Kiseki and Barandofl like this.
  8. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I feel like if the writer does it right it could work but I personally like to make sure that stories I connect have more than just the world in common.
    Example I have a side off story for a novel series I'm writing and while it deals with an almost entirely different situation it does tie in very well.

The main character is one of the side characters in another book, events that took place in those other books are brought up or hinted at and I make sure that I don't accidentally change any names.
    I make sure the stories are connected enough to establish they take place in the same world.

9. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,164.0
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Since I write short stories, I don’t generally connect the “universes”. If I were to write actual-length stories, I would consider connecting all the stories into one “universe”.