1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Let's Go Our Rival?

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, May 30, 2018.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    So, we haven't actually seen or heard anything about our rival yet in the new games. Do you think Blue will return or will he just not be a part of these games? Remember, in the original, he took Eevee. Maybe in the opposite, he'll take Pikachu?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    Sounds interesting, I can certainly imagine your rival picking Pikachu in Let's go Eevee.
    Depending on during what time these games take place in it could be either Blue, Blue's son? Or a new different rival who happens to look like Blue.
    I doubt it's the opposite gender character as they're both wearing clothes similar to Red's.

3. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    it would make it more like a remake if it is Blue, but it would be a familiar face that many of us know and loved in our younger years

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    It's kind of strange that the Blue/Red version games don't have much to do with these. Adding an Eevee version mixed it up a bit. Maybe Blue won't even be in it and it's just the opposite gendered character of whichever character you choose. I guess we don't really know yet how faithful it's going to be to the original game or how much is going to be changed.

5. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    I think the rival taking Pikachu would be an interesting set up for the Let's Go Eevee rival. As for who it is, I'm leaning more towards the Blue side of it, since it seems that the games are more Yellow remakes with elements from Go.

6. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I'm hoping that Blue is our rival again. I really liked that guy, and I've always enjoyed the slightly meaner rivals, such as Blue and Silver.

7. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I'm hoping for Blue/Gary Oak
    But, think about it
    What if this game is lacking a rival of any sort? I don't know why I'm thinking this, but it would be interesting to not have a rival at all. We've never had a game lacking a rival, and we've never had a main series game with these mechanics.
    This game is aimed at GO players, to get them into the main series. GO lacks rivals, so this game may lack a rival as well..?

8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    It looks like this rival is going to be another friendly one. On one hand, I don't mind friendly rivals as long as they're well-written and actually have a character arc. On the other hand, it feels that recently, the Pokémon games are only putting in rivals because it's a sort of tradition and not because they want to make an interesting recurring opponent for your character.

I just hope Trace isn't going to be some one-note smiling doofus that only exists to give you free stuff and make you feel bad when you beat his Pokémon into the dirt. The great thing about jerk rivals is that you never felt like a terrible person after defeating them.

Still, though another 'friend rival' has put a bit of a damper on my spirits, I can't say I can judge him quite yet. After all, I liked Hau. I'm curious to see him in the actual game.

9. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    One apparently noteworthy trait is that this rival is apparently cowardly, which is a huge letdown.

Hoping this doesn't carry on to the Gen 8 games.

10. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I've gotten really tired of "friendly rivals". I just don't see the purpose of them and its reaching the point where I'm actually starting to feel bad by beating them over and over again. It actually kind of pulls me out of the game somewhat. I wish that they would go back to having rivals that make you want to actually beat them.

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Generally, I like the more antagonistic rivals than any other because Nintendo make it a point to give them a reason to be antagonistic(except blue). There's far more interesting story to them and we get to see them actually develop as people like silver. How has Haru grown? Becoming more serious about battles? That should have happened in the first two battles. That being said, I don't like the idea that we now have a friendly rival. The only way I could like this character is if hes a jerk to you from the start, but after battles, he respects your power.

12. Friskian

Friskian Hex Maniac

Enemy Stand
    (Trickster)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Probably not Blue,because Blue i Red's Rival,but we aren't Red in this game...So yeah,its probably not gonna be Blue.

13. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,671.9
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    We know who the rival is now (and yeah not Blue at all)

14. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I hope it ain’t blue. I hate his guts with fiery passion hotter than the Flare Blitz I spam on For Glory.

15. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    For me, it's pretty disappointing that Blue won't be the rival anymore, but it really is a minor detail, imo. However, a "friendy rival" is kind of lame. Rivals such as Blue are a lot more memorable because they actually compete with you and it drives you to always have a better team. That being said, the new rival doesn't seem too bad.

16. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,366.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Yeah, I want a more competitive rival. They're called "rivals" for a reason, you know! If they're all friendly and "aw shucks" then what's the point in beating them? Why? To make yourself feel more godlike? To reassure your own ego? WHY?!

17. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    If Blue isn't the rival, that does open up the opportunity for him to appear elsewhere in the game. Honestly, that sounds pretty exciting!