1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by WavePearl, Sep 2, 2021.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @NyxieRina

The basic premise:

It is a dark day in the martial world of Hisui--the master of The Path of the Legendary Lands has been found dead, and the school's prized secret art, the Resplendent Mist Manual, is missing.If mastered by one with a pure heart, the martial world will prosper. If mastered by one with an evil heart, the martial world will enter a dark age. It goes without saying sects good, neutral, and evil are all scrambling to find the scroll, and learn its secrets.

But you, alongside a group of six best friends known in the martial world as the Six Guardian spirits, are seeking the scroll for another reason--deliver it to the closest scholar's sect for safekeeping. In your research as to who could've slain the master of The Path of the Legendary Lands, you learn he was attacked not by one assailant but twelve--a group of twelve evil fighters known as the Dark Zodiac.

In order, they are Golden Chu, who is the leader, Onyx Tauros, Jade Raikou, White Buneary, Stellar Dragonair, Sapphire Arbok, Cerulean Ponyta, Silver Dubwool, Mythic Infernape, Imperial Combusken, Youthful Arcanine, and Pearl Emboar.

The Dark Zodiac mainly wander the world, stirring up trouble wherever they can. But they do have fortresses of their own, filled with minions, traps, and puzzles to confound all comers. You guys are to find these fortresses, fight your way through them, battle the Dark Zodiac member waiting at the top, and claim the elemental medallion they hold. Defeat them all, claim the Twelve Jeweled Medallions and deliver the Resplendent Mist Manual to a scholarly sect, and you will avenge a fallen master, restoring peace to the martial world.

You play one of the heroes the Six Guardian Spirits has scouted--will you succeed in defeating the Dark Zodiac, and restoring peace to the martial world?

Character's name: (try to pick something that at least sounds Chinese or Japanese)
    Character's age: (anywhere from age 14 to 19 will do)
    Character's physical appearance (what does your character basically look like?)
    Character's personality/known history (what is your character like, and what spurred your character to help the Six Guardian Spirits?)
    Character's known Pokémon, if any (any known non-Legendary Pokémon are allowed--if you do want a Legendary, be prepared to explain how you got it)
    Character's preferred style: (what does your character use to fight? If they fight unarmed, just put "fist", "palm", or "knuckle")
    Character's school/sect: (Is your character part of a school or sect? If they are not, you can list them as "wandering warriors)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Some information and inspiration to help you brainstorm:

If you need ideas for sect names or martial art names, check here (check all the two word templates for best results. You can also generate a nickname for your character, if you wish)
    If you just need martial art names, look here--try to keep them somewhat realistic sounding, and Pokemonize accordingly)

Here is a generator for martial titles, if you'd like one.

Weapons you may use

Unarmed/fist/palm/knuckle
    Sword
    Twin swords
    Saber (a bigger bladed weapon than a sword)
    Spear/javelin
    Scythe
    Staff/pole
    Dagger
    Bow
    Claw
    Axe
    Fukiya (blowgun--these styles are named as 'breath' or 'blow')
    Hammer
    Chi (basically magic--these styles are often named 'energy', 'strike', 'fury', 'armor', or 'defense'.)
    Nunchuk
    Wheel
    Shield

Instruments you may use

Harp
    Flute
    Tikin (a three stringed fiddle-like instrument with a voice-like sound)
    Moji (a small lute-like instrument traditionally known as the heroine's instrument in theater)
    Suji (a more guitar-like lute often used for melodic solos and accompanying singing)
    Kanegen (a mandolin-like instrument)

Implements you may use

Ribbon
    Fan
    Paintbrush
    Parasol
    Compass
    Puppet (these styles are known as 'spirits'

3. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    The Six Guardian Spirits

In order, the Six Guardian Spirits are:

--Ruby Phoenix, a fearless and joyous swordsman who is as skilled with a flute as he is with a sword. He has tamed a Pikachu for company, granting thunder powers on top of his innate fire powers. (Ash's counterpart)

--Sapphire Dragon, a brave and confident master of the twinblades. In the martial world, she has earned the nickname 'The Water-Ice Warrior Princess' for her two innate powers and skill at her blades--it is said no man has ever defeated her. Some have warned that her fury is like a dragon's if angered! (Misty's counterpart)

--Emerald Raikou, a wise yet powerful archer with a divine voice--his skill at the harp belies great skill at the bow and powerful magic in his song. But when someone he cares about is threatened, he will strike with the fury of Raikou! (Brock's counterpart)

--Golden Delphox, a clever and friendly dancer with skill in magic. Many do not know her dance is enchanted--as well as deadly to the forces of evil. If dancing is not possible, she can lash her ribbons like whips. (Serena's counterpart)

--Jade Beautifly, a former actress who now makes a living as an adventurer. But her skills on the stage create a unique form of magic as she dazzles and amazes with dance like moves, both with spells and the war fan. She is very close with Pearl Deerling, and the two are never apart for long. (May's counterpart)

--Pearl Deerling, a mystic of the stars who left her enclave on a journey of discovery, She befriended Jade Beautifly on the road, and the two of them have been together ever since. If using her magic is not possible, she will also use the divine staff used by monks, miko and mystics. (Dawn's counterpart)

4. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Fun fact: thanks to the Six Guardian Spirits, I first mistook this RP as a PMD-style one. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

Ash, Misty, Brock, Serena, May and Dawn (or rather, their counterparts) are your guides and supporters on your adventure. They will assist you in battle, give you backstory and lore, scout locations, and more.

6. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    So I'm planning to do two characters again here but with one post for each ones to make room for future updates. And here's a little spoiler while I'm at it: one of them will use paintbrush with ink colors matching chi colors unless it's practically invisible on white canvas.

WavePearl likes this.
  7. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

That sounds cool! I can't wait to see it!

8. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    While I'm at it, are the chi colors here roughly the same as in the other RP? Or any differences?

9. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

This is a slightly different universe, but the ki colors are (more or less) the same. I'll copy them over here, if you like.

SAF likes this.
  10. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Yes, please. I bet it'll be helpful for more than just ink colors anyway. ;)

Also, lemme tag @NyxieRina in case Wave's tag in the OP missed her...

11. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

In terms of magical elementals, ki colors are:

--Silver (spirit)
    --Green (earth)
    --Light green (nature)
    --Red (fire)
    --Lavender (wind)
    --Blue (water)
    --Cyan (ice)
    --Yellow (thunder)
    --Purple (cosmos)
    --White (light)
    --Black (shadow)
    --Rainbow (all the elements)

12. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    OC #1: rebooting an old OC that I never got a chance to play with.
    Fumiko Oyama
    Name: Fumiko Oyama
    School/Sect: Wandering warrior (formerly Mitama School of Magic)
    Appearance Basic appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Outfit: A yellow fighter outfit under her dark blue starry robe

Backstory Fumiko is a recent graduate of Mitama School who can sense and utilize aura to some extent. Her magical prowess made her quite a weird case for someone born and raised in the home of brawlers. Unfortunately, shortly before her graduation, she got news that her older brother, Natsu Oyama, was killed on his mission to guard the master of The Path of the Legendary Lands. Fumiko then made it her personal mission to find out who had killed them both and either slay them or bring them to justice, whichever possible.

Known Pokémon:
    • Luchabull the male Hawlucha
    • Junaiper the male Decidueye -- Natsu's former archery mentor
    Preferred styles:
    • Purple ki
    • Aura sensing and utility
    • Unarmed (she's surprisingly agile for a mage)
    • Will learn archery once she gets her brother's bow fixed
    • Speed Star: Homing star-shaped rays are shot at opponents like how Fumiko would throw shurikens. Like the Pokémon version of Swift, this attack never misses.
    • Cosmic Power: Fumiko enchants a weapon with the power of cosmos. This spell also boosts the wielder's defense while she's at it. (Its Pokémon version only does the defense boost btw.)
    • Star Blazing / Galacta Blazing: Large, star-shaped projectiles rain down from the sky in rapid succession, each one detonating into expanding rings of smaller projectiles just when they're about to reach the foes. Its stronger version, Galacta Blazing, adds one final, larger star that detonates at the foe with most HP at the moment with a much denser ring of smaller stars.
    • Morning Sun / Moonlight: Fumiko heals an ally and/or herself for 1/2 of target's max HP. The usable spell depends on the time of the day: Morning Sun in daytime and Moonlight in nighttime.
    • Moonblast: Borrowing the power of the moon, Fumiko attacks the target. This spell's power doubles at night.
    • Aura Sphere: Fumiko lets loose a blast of aura power from deep within her body at the target. This attack never misses and doesn't require purple ki to use (unlike her other spells).
    Money: 10,000 kou
    • Starry Robe
    None at the moment
    None at the moment
    None at the moment
    • Broken bow (used to be Natsu's)
    • Non-combat dagger

#12 Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  13. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    OC #2: the paintbrush user I talked about the other day.
    Nagisa Kokuo
    Name: Nagisa Kokuo
    School/Sect: Smeargle Colours, a painters' community
    Appearance Basic appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Outfit: Basically similar to Rei's outfit in Legends: Arceus (sans the hat and scarf) but with ink splatters all over it

Backstory Nagisa is a mute boy (though you'll be forgiven for thinking he's deaf too) who relies on his painting skills for both combat and making a living. He usually "speaks" with gestures and sign language. Failing that, he writes his speeches down in his notebook.

Despite technically being a member of the Smeargle Colours, Nagisa is currently wandering around because he has clients all over Hisui -- one of which had told him about the Six Guardian Spirits who had been seeking out for young warriors to help them with... something (I'll leave who this client is up to the host). No, really, that's what Nagisa was told in the first place.

Known Pokémon: Emina the female Smeargle
    Preferred styles:
    • Paintbrush
    • Dagger
    • Black: non-elemental / spirit (since Nagisa can't use shadow powers)
    • Dark green: earth
    • Light green: nature
    • Red: fire
    • Floral lavender: wind (any paler and it would be invisible on white canvas)
    • Blue: water
    • Cyan: ice (I'm open to suggestions if it's still barely visible on white, though)
    • Yellow: thunder
    • Purple: cosmos
    • Rose pink: light (because the original ki color is practically invisible on white canvas)
    • ...and many more for casual painting
    Money: 10,000 kou
    • Paintbrush
    • Some empty scrolls as "combat canvas"
    • Bottles of colorful ink
    • Basic dagger
    None at the moment
    None at the moment
    None at the moment
    • Proper canvas for casual painting
    • Notebook
    • Quill

#13 Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  14. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

Those look perfect! They are both Accepted!

To answer your questions:

--You start with 10,000 kou (the currency of this land--100 kou=$1)
    --Cyan can be seen on a canvas--I picture it looking like this.
    --Nagisa learned of the Six Guardian Spirits through the song of a traveling actor--at one point in a play, a song went:

...The phoenix watches us with holy fire,
    The dragon's dance brings the rain.
    The Raikou's roar resounds through the earth and the sky
    The Delphox brings a message from on high.
    The Beautifly's colors are a blessing to us all,
    The Deerling delivers the divine's call...

15. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Yay~
    Lemme edit the money part in...

Anyway, of all the Six Guardian Spirits, which ones can understand sign? Nagisa will adapt his "speaking" methods accordingly.

16. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

Of the six, Pearl Deerling and Emerald Raikou can understand sign language. Pearl Deerling can understand it after interacting with others like Nagisa, and Emerald Raikou learned it as a discrete method of communication and to make his storytelling performances inclusive--he signs and speaks at the same time when performing.

SAF likes this.
  17. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @SAF

Sign Language in Seishin

In the world of Seishin (this world's name), sign language grew out of ninja hand signs, as both a means of communication for the deaf and hard of hearing, plus a discrete way for hearing people to communicate if talking, instruments, or other noisemaking devices would be too dangerous.

The basic building blocks of the language (called ningo, literally "ninja-language") are based on real Japanese Sign Language, but it is possible to communicate entire sentences or paragraphs with one gesture.

For example, Emerald Raikou can introduce himself by simply forming the actual sign for the character e, which resembles an outstretched claw. If the claw is not completely formed, it means "I am Emerald Raikou--I come in peace." If the claw is completely formed, bad guys need to run, because Emerald Raikou means business!

Some other real signs and their fantastic meanings are:

ki--any Delphox or Ninetales. If he means Golden Delphox specifically, he will sign kin (which resembles the character), and then sign ki.
    ke--I promise/On my honor (since the sign resembles a scouting sign)
    sa--I'm prepared to fight (since the real sign is a fist)--all Emerald Raikou has to do to intimidate bad guys is make a fist before preparing a shot or spell
    ta--Yes!/Well done! (since the sign is a thumbs up) Can also mean "Clear of danger" or "It's safe"
    te--Stop!/Wait! (since the sign is an outstretched hand)
    me--All right/Understood/Clear (since the sign resembles a Western OK sign)

(my source for my research)

SAF likes this.
  18. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,721.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Fun fact that I forgot to say earlier: Fumiko learned sign language as an elective back in her school days. Like Emerald Raikou, Natsu used sign language as a discreet method of communication -- which kid Fumiko thought was cool.

WavePearl likes this.
  19. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    GS Ball ★★★★★Oran Berry ★★
    Oh heck I only saw this now. I think I might have gotten the notif for it before but accidentally dismissed it as something else.

This is really cool! I'm gonna be reading up a bit to get a better feel for this. I'm probably gonna join once I have a character in working order

SAF and WavePearl like this.
  20. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @NyxieRina

Take your time--there's no hurry.

I'm aiming towards a magical kung fu feel (something like cheesy old kung fu movies and samurai movies, or "Avatar: the Last Airbender" with a dash of The Legend of Zelda.