1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What do you draw first?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Nov 6, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I have quite a few art friends online and irl and have had the pleasure of seeing their creative process (along with my own experiences with art). I’ve noticed that while everyone usually starts with a sketch, they don’t always start the sketch at the same place. For example: most people I’ve seen draw start with the head to get a feel for the proportions, and it just seems easier that way. However I have seen some artists start with the eyes or hair, and sometimes even the body or background.

What do you guys draw first?

I’m grouped in with the artists the draw the head first.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I start with a circle and them build the head around that. Circle then head shape then eyes and mouth and then either hair or the body.

If it's a complicated pose my brain's decided to try and make me draw I'll do a smol thumbnail stick figure first to grasp where all the limbs go.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,351.7
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I draw the head. And then I stop.

4. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I dunno. I never really notice what I draw. I mean, if I draw Feraligatr the first thing I start with is the head so I guess I start with heads? And it’s also very dependent on the pose.

5. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    Not very specific for me. Occasionally the body, occasionally the legs. Only once have I started with the head, but it's weird without a base (the body) to look at.

6. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I never really draw any particular part first.
    I normally draw a bunch of shapes then just draw the picture overtop apart from that I don't really draw any part before another.

7. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,152.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I usually start with the head and work down the body.

8. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I normally start with the rough shape of the head. I typically wait until the rest of the body's been drawn before I do any details, like the eyes and mouth.

9. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    I usually start with the rough shape of the head and proceed to the body until the definitive pose is done. Only then I go back to the head/face. My past experiences about loosing an already finished facial expression because of some dumb mistakes that ruin the paper are there to guide me :sweat:

That applies for almost any kind of thing I draw. Yes, in some way or another, even for furniture.

10. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,087.7
    Generally, I'll tend to make a very rough sketch of circles and lines to get a feel for the pose I want. I tend to draw the circle for the head first and then go from there.
    I believe the head is just the best place to start, though it usually tends to change positions for me by the end of the sketch.

11. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    so many other people who draw the head first you have good taste

i usually start with the head and then hair and when thats done i do everything else just right there hah no guidelines or anything we die like men

12. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I generally have to start with the head, because if I don't then for some reason all of the rest of the proportions get seriously thrown off.

13. Swan

Swan Tuber

Caterpie
    (Caterpie)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12.0
    one of my good teacher in HS gave me a tip once, she told me if the eyes were poorly drawn then the rest of the piece fell apart (imo this applies mostly to fine arts), as far as figure drawing goes, i think you should always start with the silhouettes of the head & torso proportions before anything, shaping out the detail in the head first and foremost.

but thats just me.

14. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I almost always start with the body then add the limbs, neck/head, etc on afterwords.