1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rate My Team Wolf-themed team

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Wolf Expert, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I decided to finally give my username some meaning/association with Pokémon and created a wolf-themed team on Showdown.

It's awful.

Like seriously just kill my Pokémon with Earthquake and it's game over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images because I'm too lazy to type things out. I gave Arcanine Sunny Day in part to support Houndoom. It would probably work better if I was using Mega Houndoom.

And I actually managed to win a battle!
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-863715533

So yeah what do you guys think and do you have any suggestions for improvement? This was just supposed to be a silly thing I did, but if I can improve it some way, I'd still like to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RadEmpoleon and Wizard like this.
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I'm no expert in competitive battling, but I can say this: you are certainly a Wolf Expert now :D.

Other than the fore-mentioned Earthquake weakness, this team looks like it can pack a punch. Nice theme team!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Hm... Mightyena could be a good non-weak-to-Ground-Type Option. One with Ice Fang could work wonders. Other than that.... Hm... Maybe a Balloon to help survive EQ.

4. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Balloon might be a good idea. Is mightyena actually good competitively? I'll have to check that out.

Edit: okay I'm thinking give Arcanine a balloon, switch the mega stone to Houndoom so Arcanine works better supportively with Sunny Day. Maybe give Manectric Thunder in case someone tries to counter Sunny Day with rain and then I'll also get a water boost to Suicune. Maybe I can give Rain Dance to Suicune? I'm not sure if it learns it but I'd assume it does.

Edit again: Made some changes. Pretty much everything listed above except I didn't give Suicune Rain Dance. That move combination it has right now is just too nice. I lost this battle, but they were able to hold their own pretty well against this painfully typical OU team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-863925742

Oh, I also gave Manectric an assault vest.

#4 Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm under the impression that Suicune is actually feline. I could have sworn it was a snow leopard, (and I think Raikou is also feline as a Sabertooth Tiger and and Entei might be a feline if it's a lion, but could conceivably be canine).

I've gone through the egg group Field in search of some wolves and other canines, and here's who I've found:

Ninetales: Fire Ninetales seems redundant with Arcanine and Houndoom around, but Alolan Ninetales might be good offense against Ground. And foxes are technically canid.
    Mightyena: Like Nova said, Mightyena could be an option. I've found it consistently under-whelming, though.
    Stoutland: I think Stoutland is pretty ordinary, but its Overcoat ability can come in handy if you want to use weather on your team, like if A.Ninetales wants hail or if Lycanroc and Lucario want Sandstorm.
    Zoroark: Lots of fun, but I'm not sure if there's much of a place here. I like to disguise Zoroark as fighting or poison types to lure psychic-type attackers into wasting a turn, but you don't have either of those in this squad.
    Furfrou: Fur Coat and normal typing makes for a somewhat sturdy defensive Pokémon.
    Granbull: I entertain Granbull as an effective Play Rough user. Fairy is an interesting type. There's no STAB anti-poison above, and fire isn't a good anti-steel due to the likelihood of Earthquake, so Granbull might fill a niche from one of the fire-types especially.
    Delphox: I love Delphox. Strong offense, decent speed, and balanced defenses.

I don't know who to replace, but I'd consider removing Suicune only for the canine theme and one of your fire-types for type redundancy. Just spitting ideas here.

6. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Suicune is based on a Kirin/Qilin, which is a dragon-like mythical creature. People say it might be a snow leopard because it's based partially on a wind god that wore a leopard skin. It definitely has some wolf-like, or at least canine-like, features and the way it behaves in the movie it appears in definitely seems more wolf-like. It could have easily been made to resemble a feline more than it does if that was the intention, so I'm just considering it to be a wolf based on the way it looks and acts.

7. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Hiya!

So based on the replay you've posted, I'm gonna take a crack at helping out here...

Personally, I'd say that the way Arcanine is being used, while creative, is not one of the best ways. If you're looking for an offensive tank, I'd highly recommend swapping him out for Stoutland, to echo @Absolute Zero a bit. A tried-and-true set for this I'd suggest is:
    Stoutland @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Return
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Fang
    While you lose the ability to run Toxic and a healing move effectively given that it's banded, it's worth running as a test. You could definitely go for Toxic over Pursuit to fake that you don't have band though! I'd even suggest changing Lycanroc's Swords Dance to Sandstorm to give yourself a bit of an edge with the buffing damage. You've already got a SD user in Lucario, and generally you'll be more effective with him anyway! (BONUS: less weakness to EQ!)

I really like the LO Houndoom, though, so I'll leave that alone--it seems to work super well!

The only other change I'd suggest (as I'm a big fan of iterative development) is to look at possibly giving Lycanroc the Sash or Balloon and then giving Lucario a Fightinium Z crystal for extra oomph against foes like Quagsire (who could really wreck your entire team at the moment).

8. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    absolutely nothing but sweeper poocheyena, 6 of them. with the different fang moves for all-type advantages along with grass knot.

all of them will have
    Grass Knot
    Thunder Fang
    Fire Fang
    Ice Fang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Poison Orb
    (i know it's banned but) whatever the name of the ability that gives you health from poison attacks

yes i know this is a terrible team but it was funny at the time so i made it

9. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    I would call it a dog theme team, because I only see a single wolf there. And one of the members isn't even supposed to be a dog!:D

Anyways, I love theme teams, so good work on winning with it!

10. GigaGold1

GigaGold1 Blaziken Fan

MEW!!!
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1.2
    Thunder Stone ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Solid team! Great job!