1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Nyxie!

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by NyxieRina, Jul 21, 2021.

1. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    GS Ball ★★★★★Oran Berry ★★
    Huh. I genuinely don't know. I've read so many good ones it's hard to decide which ones the best. Maybe if you give me another category I'd be able to name one. Fandom, genre, pairing, etc.

2. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,423.8
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    In that case... how about fantasy-adventure?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    I am beginning to realize that typical genres don't work out here very well. What is a fantasy-adventure for a fanfic in a fandom revolved around that very same thing?

I guess I should still try to answer it. Uh.

My favorite is Accidental Appothesis by Saphorneth. It follows Ash discovering that he's a Pokémon and what that means for him, his family, and his future. It's a lot more lighthearted than I'm making it out to be. I guess it's fantasy adventure because Ash goes on and adventure and the things that happen are more fantasy than normal?

I can probably think of a better answer later though, if you still wanna hear that.

SAF likes this.
  4. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    post fest invasion

How do you normally deal with writer's block? Do you try to actively do something against it or are you the type to just wait and let inspiration come to you on its own?
    If you had to chance to theme Lake Valor after another pokémon than Azelf, what would that be?
    Is there a video game/ book you have been wanting to play/read for a long time, but never got around to for various reasons?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    Oh this is a chunky one. I'll try to answer this in parts.

1. Man writer's block is the worst. Unfortunately I don't really... do... anything with it? Sometimes it's a block for one thing or a block for all the stories. I usually just do something else until I feel the urge to write again. That being said, sometimes giving myself a timer or writing on *Discord* (for some reason) helps me squeeze out a few words that wouldn't have otherwise been written.

2. Probably Mew. I may be biased a bit, but I think Mew is more recognizable by being a Gen 1 Pokémon and there's a lot more things you can do with Mew's infinite potential compared to Azelf's. It even has a place you can use for the name of the forum: Faraway Island.

3. Honestly I haven't really read a non-fanfic fiction book in a long time so I guess I'll say all of it? As for video games I really wanna invest a but in Zelda, especially BOTW but in the few times I played I kinda just did nothing.

Man you should have split this into multiple asks, they we could have gotten a lot more posts out for the post fest ;)

6. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    quality > quantity

Agreed, writer's block can be a real pain, and I don't even write often. I'm rather surprised that you seemingly work better under self-applied pressure (timer), as I personally just tend to endlessly work on the part in question until it is somewhat satisfactory. Each to their own, I guess haha
    However, I can quite relate to using new platforms for writing, even if it is just Discord. I mainly think it's the novelty and potential associations you might have concerning the program that is helping a bit. After all, when writing something, you probably end up staring at the same interface for hours, and that can be tiring and frustrating, especially if it feels like you're going nowhere. A temporary change might help alleviate that issue!

Do you still remember your strongest writer's block up to this date?
    If you had to give one piece of advice to a new writer, what would it be?
    Are you a dedicated shiny hunter? If so, what are the catches you are most proud of?

7. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    1. Yeah uh. I actually have a second fanfication account all about this mobile game called Brawl Stars. I came in strong with tons of ideas, but then just completely feel out of writing anything for it for over a year, even though I had tons of ideas I wanted to put in. It was rough and I'm starting to pick things back up, but yeah :(

2. Your writing is probably way better than you think it is. Our minds are mean and makes us think that we're worse than we are. Even if you think your writing is the worst thing on the planet, someone out there will still appreciate and encourage what you're doing.

3. No lmao. Sometimes I try but I'm not dedicated enough to really hunt for something unless I'm doing it with a friend or as a part of a competition. As for my proudest Shiny catch? It didnt even happen in a main game. In the game Pokémon Rogue Emerald, theres a Safari zone that you can use too capture any Pokémon you owned in a previous run to serve as your starting Pokémon. So I went there with the intention to get a Scyther because the Scizor is used in a previous run was my saving grace. Soon I discovered a Scyther that was a bit greener than normal. I lost my mind. That was the first shiny I ever encountered there, and the Safari zone has a 100% catch rate. I didnt even know you could get shinies in there. I evolved it into a Scizor and its my go to starter when I start a new run. Uh, other than that I guess finding two Shiny Pawmi was nice, cause I love shiny Pawmi.

Sethal likes this.
  8. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    If the pokémon anime/games were to feature an already known character again, which one should it be? Why? (And I mean an actual reappearance, not just them showing up for five seconds...)
    I assume you've already read many discontinued stories by now. if you had the chance to have one of them be continued, which would it be and why?
    If you could collab with a writer/artist/musician/etc. of your choice, who would they be?

9. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    1. I don't watch the anime so I dont have that much of a strong opinion. But I think Ash appearing again would be cool. Maybe a traveling companion for a short while?

2. Uh shoot I don't have a list. If I had to pick right now, it would be alohaflower's crossover fic Ceaseless Confusion. Its a My Hero Academia x Pokémon fic where Aizawa gets isekaied into the Hoenn Pokémon Anime as a little Purrloin and he tries to take care of these kids while coming to terms with what the hell Pokémon even is. The author did write a little epilogue on what happens when Aizawa gets back to his world, retaining some of his now Liepard capabilities (which is nice for closure) but I really wish I got to read and see what happened before that.

3. My craziest wish collab? Uh. For writing it would either be with Saphroneth or DeusVerve. For art it would me nochimusa(?) or StartistDoodles.

Sethal likes this.
  10. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,423.8
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Cakes or cookies? (Assuming both are available in the same flavor, that is)

11. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    Cookies!

12. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,423.8
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Oranges or grapes?

13. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    grrr those are both in my favorite fruits! I'd say oranges though.

(Wait was this a Scarlet vs Violet thing? In that case yeah Oranges)

14. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,423.8
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    You can interpret it both ways, actually. :)

Anyway, pegasus or wyvern?

15. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    A wyvern would be cool as hell

16. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™ (they/them)

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,388.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    What's your favorite kind of pasta noodle?

17. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    The lasagne pasta. I love Lasagne a lot

RadEmpoleon likes this.
  18. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Are you the type of person with a fixed schedule when it comes to sleeping or do you often push the limits of how long you can stay awake?
    Is there any word that despite having looked up, you still don't exactly understand the meaning/proper usage of?
    Do you enjoy reading/watching prequels of books/shows you already know? Many people find them less interesting due to them already being aware of the end, after all...

19. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0

1. I *try* to keep a sleep schedule, but most of the time that just amounts to 'be in bed before 12am'. Even then I don't always end up following it.

2. Plenty of them. I can't remember any words off the top of my head, but the phrase 'they can't ______, let alone _______' always confused me. Half of the time I see it used with the worse outcome first (they can't run, let alone walk) and the other half has the worse outcome last (they can't walk, let alone run). I'm pretty sure it's meant to be used like in the second example but the fact that it's so inconsistent in the things I read makes me second-guess myself a lot.

3. I think it's interesting! Even if I know the end, that usually doesn't stop me from trying to consume a piece of media anyways. Also it's fun to see what happened before to bring things to the way we first see it in Canon.

20. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,684.4
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Favourite city in your province?