1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Did Pokémon translate well to the 3DS?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    SO. Let's get discussing. Now that the era of Pokémon on the 3DS is ending and we can expect future games on the Nintendo Switch, how do you guys think Pokémon fared in its transition to 3D? Was the 3DS era of Pokémon a good one, or could it have been better? How do you think the progress made on the 3DS will affect upcoming games?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I think it did pretty well, even if I miss seeing the new sprites we would get with each new generation. Of course is not all perfect but considering XY where the first games in full 3D it was a pretty good job on Game Freaks end, must have been so time consuming to make models for all the pokémon. One thing I wish they'd done was let you rotate the camera so you could have some real fun seeing everything from all angles.

Will what they've done so far affect future games? probably, but since they'll be on Switch I can only imagine them getting better but we'll how well they actually transit to the Switch once we finally get that first game sinec is honestly a little hard to tell considering we've seen nothing about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I think that the 3D transition was interesting, and I knew that it would happen in time as alot of Nintendo's IPs slowly became 3D as well. Several of the new additions, such as visible emotions, player customization, and more intricate trainer models, made the world more vibrant and real!
    Some minor issues I had wasn't about the world or the models, but instead the Pokémon cries. Several Pokémon didn't sound the same upon the switch to 3D, for example Raichu. Ok, another issue I had with Raichu was that it was fully sitting on its feet instead of its toes like every other sprite before it. But that's just 1 out of 800ish Pokémon, lol.
    I know that the 3DS games couldn't do it, but I hope to one day see a game where Pokémon can follow you again like from HeartGold/SoulSilver. They have the models, after all..

4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I liked them, but I felt like the worlds weren't really big enough. Like more could have been done, but they had to skimp on it for the sake of cartridge space. I can't wait to see what the can do with the switch, especially considering what's been done with BotW and Mario Odyssey.

5. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Looking back at it, X and Y seem like tests for what was to come. It was so different suddenly. But then ORAS came and was already a lot better. So it definitely wasn’t perfect right away, but the transition as a whole went smoothly in my opinion.

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I think that they were able to transfer the series over fairly well.

If you think of X and Y as a 3D demo, then its a great demo but still a demo. I have a number of issues with the X and Y game mainly the fact that the world seems so empty compared to others. Part of that I believe came from time constraints since they focused all their time on making 3D models and not as much on world design.

After they got the baseline of X and Y out of the way, you can really see the 3D shine in Omega ruby Alpha sapphire, but there still were some things that didn't quite feel fluid.

Sun and Moon is one of their best 3D games. Unlike X and Y, the world feels so alive and expansive. Unlike Omega ruby Alpha sapphire, the game was completely fluid with little to no hiccups. When I stepped out for the first time, I was blown away and couldn't believe I was playing a Pokémon game.

They definitely had a shaky start with 3D, but they stuck with it and continued to improve until today, where we can finally start to say that a Pokémon game has good graphics.

#6 Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    when I went back to play ORAS just a few days ago I was really taken aback at how poor the graphics looked in comparison to SM/USUM. I'm really unsure how XY managed to look better than ORAS in this regard.

As far as visual appearance is concerned, Game Freak hit some bumps here and there but otherwise did fairly well. Gameplay-wise? I'm disappointed that they didn't try to shake up the traditional formula (again, with the exception of SM/USUM) and I believe they could've had a lot of potential to differ from previous titles other than the whole "save the world from the evil team" thing that we've been doing for the past 20 years.

but maybe this is all a case of console imitation and the Switch will provide us with a more substantial Pokémon game. at least, that's what im hoping for.

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Visually, I think they're taking Pokémon to a good end point with graphical evolution. If they make the overworld too much more detailed, we're going to have to start chasing/outrunning wild Pokémon, which will really change the game entirely. And in-battle, if it gets much more detailed (like if the Pokémon are shown actually biting/punching/headbutting each other), then it's going to suddenly get/seem very violent. I don't like either of those possiblities, so I hope both of those aspects remain the same and don't change much in the future.

I think this was actually a really really good thing. So many Pokémon (especially among the first 251) had cries that were just digitized audio screeches that resembled nothing in reality. Now (with the exception of Pikachu, who I hate more than ever because of its cry), almost every Pokémon actually sounds somewhat like it might in reality. Dragons roar, birds sing, rats squeak, squids hum or something. I agree it shears away some of the nostalgia value, but the gain of quality heavily outweighs that loss for me.

9. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    @Negative Zero I agree, and the cries have grown on me. Raichu is the only one that still irks me, it actually hurts to hear its new cry.

10. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    personally, 6th gen 3D was... iffy. I wasn't a big fan of the "chibi" overworld style, considering that gen was right off the heels of Gen 5 which had really accurate sprites to human height. The battle backgrounds were bland, not even adding a tree or two made it so boring.

I loved the models of Gen 7 though! So wonderful and accurate! if only we had emotion lol. The environments were fixed too, so good on them.

11. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I think it was pretty solid overall, although X/Y and USUM were a bit underwhelming imo. 3DS Pokémon games really made some great changes to the main series games mechanic wise. The transition from sprites to 3d models was also really neat too. I'm just really relieved that with SM/USUM, HM slaves are no longer a thing.

12. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I think the transition to 3D was pretty steady. I loved customization being brought in and actually feeling like I was my own character. I remember when I first played X, I was so shocked at how amazing the 3D models for the Pokémon were. Of course, as Bloom said the 3D gens have felt underwhelming. I'm sure that will improve overtime, though. I think seeing the moves in action- as in, having the Pokémon actually perform them- is probably the best part of the models. And I love how when they're still, you can kinda see them breathe. Makes them seem more real.

13. ShadowJCreed

ShadowJCreed Hex Maniac

Meltan
    (Meltan)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽689.7
    Dome Fossil ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★
    To tell the truth I loved it on the 3DS and even though I don’t know what will happen with the Switch but that’s to be expected with something new. Back to the 3DS the graphics were amazing, most Pokémon didn’t share the same cry it’s was hard to tell, but if you heard closely you’d hear it, and it was nice to see your player and other people with so much detail and see them from up close instead of looking like a small blip that you barely see like how it was on the DS.