1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spinoffs Other Genres for Pokémon

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Achromatic, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    SO. Pokémon has dabbled in a few gaming genres so far, the main being an RPG. However, there's still room for different genres of gameplay to be explored. Which would you guys like to see?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I still want to see a Pokémon game similar to Monster Hunter, although most might not enjoy the idea of HUNTING down various wild Pokémon :'(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    This is kind of jumping off from my post in the Mystery Dungeon related thread, but one thing I've always wanted to see is the setting of the PMD games (which are almost always incredibly unique and fantasy-ish; it's never just Pokémon pasted over a generic medieval world, it always feels like what a "Pokémon" high fantasy world would be like, y'know?) in a more action-RPG sort of game. Like taking the more Zelda-esqe parts of Pokepark (behind the camera, the map, etc), combining it with the more fantasy atmosphere and visual design of PMD, and adding in caves and ruins and dungeons and combat and the like.

of course if you gave me a PMD version of breath of the wild you could just stop making videogames tbh

4. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    I wouldn't mind seeing a fully Dark Fantasy Pokémon game. Even if the rating goes up to T. There's a lot of custom lore you can make up about this type of genre's world, which can further emphasize the Dark aspect of the Fantasy.

5. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    FPS I kid, nah I'd love to see a puzzle/adventure Pokémon game where the player has to use certain Pokémon traverse through the games puzzles to get to the goal.

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I want to have a more action based game. Or maybe a management game.

7. Raziere

Aurora
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽52.7
    Ditto Vs. The World
    You play a Ditto. For some reason, you have to fight some sort of evil thats turning the world against itself, and your somehow immune to the corruption. Gameplay focuses on transforming into one Pokémon or another to solve puzzles, fight and so on, having to choose a Pokémon to creatively adapt to the situation- sure being an Onix is powerful, but that bridge is so rickety, that an Onix won't make it across, so you have to transform into something lighter. maybe at the end you find out that some Team has somehow corrupted Arceus and you get to transform into Arceus to BEAT Arceus!

Smeargle Vs. The World
    Like above, but Smeargle instead has four slots for his moves, and while he can use Sketch to change it at any time, he obviously can't have more than four moves so whenever he uses Sketch he has to forget one of them.

Gallade's/Lucario's/Primeape's/Machamp's Wrath
    Exactly what it says on the tin: play a badass fighting type whose young pre-evolved offspring has been kidnapped. lets say by Team Rocket or something. and basically you go around beating them up in a furious over-the-top badass manner culminating in incredibly awesome scenes of high-action fighting.

Lords of Pokémon
    A RTS game where you play a Pokémon Trainer- only this is before the Pokéball is invented, before the six Pokémon limit was set, before many things. In this age, a single Pokémon Trainer commands armies of Pokémon that they have earned the loyalty of, for in these days you don't catch Pokémon, you use your charisma to convince hoards of Pokémon to serve under you as your soldiers, exploring exactly why trainers in the modern day are restricted to six Pokémon, and why the modern Pokémon world doesn't like war all that much...

Life of a Champion:
    You have become a Champion of a region and now rule it. Now you take part in higher level adventures, but also in politics between different regions, manage the elite four and the gym leaders, deal with any challengers that come to take your title, and deal with legendaries when they pop up. Can you keep the peace between regions, while also making sure all your Gym Leaders and Elite Four are competent, while juggling environmental and fighting villains all at the same time? Especially on this budget?

Grand Theft Poke: Saffron City
    Your a Team Rocket Grunt. Welcome to Saffron City, you start with a ratatta. This is your sandbox to have poke-criminal fun. Go nuts. Can you evade the law and work your way to the top of Team Rocket?

Super Pokémon World:
    A mario-style 2D platformer but with Pokémon. No trainers, just Pokémon leaping around and using attacks and whatnot for some reason. I mean Smash Bros proved that it can be done easily. maybe cross it with the ditto and smeargle ideas above.

Pokémon Knights:
    Its medieval times and the relationship between a Pokémon and their trainer is one closer to a knight and their lord. You play a Pokémon trained to defend the kingdom. Problem is, in this world the Dragons are Pokémon just as much as you, there are a bunch of religious nuts wanting to go on crusades for Arceus, and not all kings and nobles are good rulers or good Pokémon trainers for that matter. oh and that chivalric romance thing? forgedaboutit.

Knightmare likes this.
  8. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I'd like another tactical RPG, only this time not a crossover but its own self-contained thing.

9. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    This would be an interesting idea for Pokémon to do. In a way, some people already track down Pokémon for the dex, but in this game's case, it would be where a trainer(?) actually hunts down certain species of Pokémon, for various reasons. There's a lot of potential for something like that in my mind anyways lol

10. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    How about this: instead of basing it off Super Mario World with a pre-chosen Pokémon (makes me think Mario Bros 2), why not Kirby? Your basic form is the Ditto idea you mentioned. Meek, un-athletic, fragile; but your Kirby Copy Ability lets you take the form and ability of more capable species. I think this would be a great format for Ditto vs The World. Take the form of a mighty Onix like you mentioned, or a quick Taillow, or a cutting Scyther or whichever form helps in the situation. I can hypothetically see a 1:1 conversion of Kirby Super Star to this idea with just sprite swaps, though a fully original game would be better.

Other than that, I could go for an adventure with the control/style or Monster Hunter or 3D Zelda games, like a stepped-up version of Mystery Dungeon. It could be like the transition from the first few Zelda games to what Ocarina, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess became, and I think that could be a pleasant evolution.