1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ugly Color Combinations

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Sep 22, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Let's face it, lots of colors just don't belong together. Figuring out what colors work and don't work is either basic color theory or you find out by trial and error while working on art. What colors do you not like together in art?

I really hate red and green together but that's just my hatred towards the color green in general. Also most colors combined with brown are not my forte unless its a very dark brown and a neon color.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I generally dislike any color (aside from gray) paired with barely-not-the-same color and treated as if that difference should be considered major and contrasting. Mostly this applies to fashion and clothes for me (you will never ever see me wearing blue jeans and a blue shirt), but in visual art it's quite similar. A drawing/painting that's 90% red like some kind of autumnal/fiery/blooded scene meant to evoke a very specific emotion, but some of the red is rather tomato-like and some of it is rather maroon-like and some is rather cherry-like, but aside from just a few details it's all just red, red, red; it will feel distasteful to me. Same with any other color: a large piece of visual art that's mostly one color with only slight variations throughout, it feels sloppy and poorly-thought for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I basically dislike any over-saturated colour paired with any other over-saturated colour(because it hurts my eyes), especially if they're contrasting colours(red and green, blue and orange etc.). They just don't work for me.

4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,351.7
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    For some reason, dark green paired with light blue just looks ugly to me.

5. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Brown with bright saturated yellow or dark green. It...doesn't look good at all, ok?

6. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I think most colour combinations can work depending on how they're used so I dont have a colour combo I dislike to be honest?

I think most duo colour combos that make people wince a little (think bright blue and neon yellow) can work adding a third colour to break them up.

7. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Neon green + medium brown has gotta be the most off-putting colour combination in my opinion. Not once have I seen it used in a way that looks pleasing to the eye.

8. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I also don't like red and green. I mean, I do, but I don't like to use those colors together because it makes everything look like it's Christmas. Other colors that I don't like are orange and pink, unless they have a very distinct shade difference, because or else they'll look too similar. I also don't really like dark purple and yellow. Purple and yellow may go together, but I feel like they would have to be similar in shading, otherwise they just contrast way too much.

9. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    to be fair purple and yellow are complementary colors. they're supposed to have a huge contrast

10. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I know they're supposed to contrast, but I feel like if the shades are too different from each other, then the contrast doesn't look as good.