1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Verbal Filter.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eclipse, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Ayy, 100 threads and 4000 posts. \o/

Whenever we have conversations with people, we obviously don't tend to talk about everything. Some topics we'd rather not say or mention, because they make us uncomfortable, or they really aren't appropriate to talk around certain people. Or sometimes it can come down to the word choices themselves, where you would be careful exactly what you say around whom. In some cases that could be about people, and in others it could be what is colloquially referred to as 'colourful language'.

How strong is your filter on your speech? How do you regulate it? When is it stronger or weaker? When do you care about it versus not? Have you ever gotten yourself into trouble for not regulating it as strongly as you'd like?

::::

In a break from recent tradition, I'll answer that question now.

My verbal filter depends entirely on how many people I'm around, and it tends to increase in strength the more people are around. When I'm by myself, either at home or in the car and no one's around, my verbal filter basically doesn't exist; I tend to cuss in frustration when I forget or realise something, and I'm not bothered because nobody's really around to listen.

When I'm around others, it tends to vary. If I'm around with my peers or friends I often hang out with, it's only slightly up, because the people I'm around tend to cuss every so often as well, so I'm not too worried about it. I don't swear like a sailor, of course, but I'm not as concerned with putting a lid on my tongue. With people who are generally older than me, or who I care about showing respect around, it gets a lot stronger - the colourful language is virtually gone and I tend to keep the topics of conversation fairly standard and straightforward.

And if I know there's anyone under the age of 12 in the room, my manner of speech completely changes. While I'm not really fond of children myself, I am extremely careful of what I say around them, as well as how I say it - because, as anyone who interacts with children often can tell you, they are highly impressionable (for good or ill).

...So there's my story. What's yours?

2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am usually very good with my filter around my parents, I am very loose around my friends with my language. Currently, I am just trying to be black and white with my parents so they do not know I say such words or because they seem like they wouldn't enjoy hearing their daughter say those things

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    My verbal filter is quite strong, especially around new people. In fact, it's a little too strong, as I am incredibly shy in real life. It's my Achilles heel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I'm pretty shy, but I tend to speak the same way with one person as I do with another once I've gotten at least a bit comfortable with them. While I don't talk completely about myself depending on how close I am to the one I'm talking to, I am comfortable talking about myself regardless of who it is. As for coarse language, I sometimes use replacements, but if I do such a thing a person will know I am at the absolute limits of my patience; my most common one is the British slang 'bloody', but occasionally I'll use one coined by Markiplier (because I watch his videos WAY too much).

5. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Online I barely cuss, most only around my bf in private. Otherwise I tend to use made up ones, such as using Pokémon names in Pokémon-related places, or in-game deity names/jokes elsewhere.
    Offline I also barely cuss. I do say some swears around other adults but refrain around younger teens/kids. The worst swears I only say around my dad (who says stuff much worse than me when its just us or extremely close family friends) or alone.

6. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I’m very vulgar, and very opinionated offline. Online, I usually tend to be more, I guess, tame, but I still maintain a sort of bluntness. I guess online my filter is much, much better.

7. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    It's good up until you make me angry, then I just forget and say what's on my mind, which is usually bad.
    Online it's easier though.

8. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I have never cursed out loud in public. Otherwise, my filter in terms of how much info I reveal depends primarily on my emotions. I tend to be more filtered when calm, and when angry or annoyed I don't hesitate to let my peers know. I am usually very respectful with adults.

9. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Like @Eclipse , my filter varies. You see before my niece was born, sex was a frequent topic at thanksgiving so my filter is only more recent. If I'm around kids under 16, My filter is fully operational and at peak efficiency. If I'm at work it's the same. If I'm at home and my niece isn't around my filter is a bit more lax. As for friends, it depends. The main two things are: what is everyone okay with and are there any minors around. If those aren't an issue than I'm almost as bad as my older brother. (And yes, what they say about sailors and bad language is 150% true in the US navy). I'm not as bad as I was 3 years ago, but otherwise most people want to wash my mouth out with soap whenever I don't use a filter.

10. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I cuss when I'm in my room by myself and even then I don't scream anything out. Outside of that I only cuss when I'm really upset and I need to express my feelings somehow...

11. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I rarely cuss at all. Not a filter thing, it's just something that doesn't crop into my vocabulary despite growing up in a family that openly cusses every second word. (I have nothing against cussing, I just don't seem to do it?)

That said I have a very good filter purely because I tend to go over what I want to say a couple of times in my head before I say it. My filter really just covers like "Don't talk to new people about special interests. They don't really care." and "don't go overboard when talking about hobbies with work mates. Keep it simple."

I don't really have any controversial believes nor would I usually say anything bad about anyone in a general sense but if there is someone in my life that has wronged me in some way I am good at keeping the ranting regarding them behind a filter. But sometimes if I'm around friends and encouraged to rant the filter slips a little.

12. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    Hmm.. Well, similar to what Eclipse said, basically. I don't filter my words when I'm alone or at home and I cuss quite often when something slightly inconvenient happens (like dropping my keys or bumping into a table corner) but even then I just cuss quietly and in a hushed voice.

Around friends, the verbal filter is slightly up. I cuss every now and then but I only use the umm... milder words. There are some words that I will never, ever say because it may give the wrong idea. Especially given the culture where I live where women are expected to be polite and delicate with their choice of words. So basically the more comfortable I am to someone, the more often they will probably hear me cussing lol

Around acquaintances, the filter is all the way up. Same goes for when I'm around elders/seniors, of course. I do it to show that I'm being respectful.

As for people younger than me, it just feels wrong to cuss around them so I have to carefully choose my words.

I had reflexively said 'fuck' under my breath after accidentally dropping my phone and a classmate whom I didn't realize was in the room with me said "Wow, I didn't realize you could actually cuss, Fizzy. You're usually so polite!"

13. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have the best filter you could ever imagine. I craft perfect sentences where each word was meticulously chosen to convey the meaning clearly without saying what I think, but this filter shatters the moment I open my mouth. The more people, the more its shattered and I'm left to pick up the pieces. I do have another filter that tends to take its place though it its a lot like Aerohail's filter. I tend to avoid topics that other people find no interest in so I don't waste their time and I make sure I don't say anything insensitive by accident. Often, my heavy filters leads me to more listen to a conversation or to someone ramble but I don't mind just listening to what others have to say.

As for dirty language and swears, I only ever say them in front of others when I'm quoting or describing the meaning of where the term came from. When I'm alone, I have a far stronger filter and often block out the f word entirely with fudge. Sometimes I do slip but these are so rare, I can't even think of an example.

14. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I have a pretty good filter. I never cuss around my parents or people that I just meet. And I especially didn't when I was at work. The only person I don't have a filter around is my closest friend. One of her friends in her dorm though has established a swear jar and we have to pay every time we swear around her. It's taught everyone very good self control lol.

15. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I cuss rarely online and irl unless the moment calls for it. Like in extreme frustration or...if I stub my toe.

16. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Dramaturgy was one of my favorite things to learn about in college, so reading how people act in different situations is interesting to me.

I tend to speak a bit carefully in any situation because I used to be too blunt to the point of offending people. I don't swear at all, although I might have slipped up a couple of times. I think the only major difference between family/friends/online or whatever is that I tend to talk with more slang around closer friends. And by slang I mean using words that at this point probably make me sound like an old person trying to sound cool. Like ironically using really moderate things like "yo" or slurring words together, like "wassup". I don't usually talk about my interests around my family either. Most of them tend to make fun of me for being a nerd.

17. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Despite being in a school that contains students who can use absolutely impressive amounts of cuss words in a sentence (the current record is 12), I try my best not to use too much 'colourful language' around anybody I hold respect for, and especially young kids. However, there are exceptions. Some things get me extremely riled up, and I find it hard to process what I'm saying before it's out. I'm rather disappointed with myself about that flaw in my personality.
    My parents were abnormally (or so it appeared to me) strict about swearing, to the point of ridiculousness. I once got grounded for a weekend for saying the word 'damn', which I thought was slightly excessive.
    #MissingNo

18. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    Because of the way I've been raised, I don't use swear words. Since they're not something that would ever naturally come out, I don't have to worry about filtering that kind of thing. My filter is more like... what I can safely speak to whoever about. By 'safely speak' I mean what I can say within the confines of our relationship. Like, I'm not going to talk about anything personal with someone I don't know very well, or say something insensitive to someone I know is easily upset.

Of course, I have some form of filter up when I'm anything other than alone. Otherwise it'd be like speaking my thoughts, which I can imagine no one would want to do all the time.

19. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I can swear like the best of them offline, but online I am less swear happy, unless I am really comfortable with the people I am with.

20. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    My filter used to be less efficient, particularly when it came to discussing some topics (which I won't elaborate on because I now know how not-good I was being). These days however, I have a much more effective filter, and typically only swear when ordinary vocabulary won't convey the message effecively, and even then it's a deliberate choice of words. Not even when I'm frustrated or angry, mostly because I have some kind of psychological condition in which I don't get angry, just flustered at worst. The closest thing to an angry swear you'll hear from me is a growly "fffruh".

A little while ago a friend is telling me about something stupid and quite disappointing he did. I put my hand on my forehead and stared at the ground and very calmly and clearly say "Were you. Out of. Your. F***ing. Mind?" Just asking if he was out of his mind I don't think would convey my disappointment and confusion, so the extra word was added deliberately. Later, I told him that he was a damn fool for it. I know it sounds like I'm a complete potty-mouth, but this is in stark contrast to my usual self, an extreme out-of-character moment to show the gravity of the situation, but that's the exact reason I swear: to show the magnitude of an emotion.