1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Shiny Graveyard

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Flumph, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Flumph

Flumph PKMN Breeder

Azelf (Anniversary)
    (Azelf (Anniversary))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,834.1
    Amulet Coin ★★★
    What shinies have you all killed, ran from, or otherwise failed, and how did it happen? My story: I was grinding for exp to level up my Slowpoke in volcano park, when, minutes after a shiny fletchling, I found a shiny cubone. I didn't pay attention at first, so I used slowpoke's water z-move. Only after it was fainting did I notice it's odd, dull green coloring. I didn't think much of it, but I looked up shiny cubone, and sure enough, it was a dull green. F.

2. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    In crystal I was grinding my team and ran from a purple drowzee. To this day I'm unsure if that was a shiny drowzee or a ditto that transformed into my drowzee.. F for respects on the 'unsure shiny loss'.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    Omega Ruby was the first, and only, time I found any type of shiny Pokémon. I think it was a shiny Audino (I was hunting for some Pokémon to catch so to complete as much of the dex I could). I ran away from it, though, not even realizing it was shiny until after I had run. I didn't feel too bad, though. It's not like it really mattered right then and there. I'm not a big hunter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,947.1
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I'm like 60 % positive that I found a shiny chansey in the safari zone. The memory is old and a little vague, I didn't even know about shiny Pokémon at the time, I was just trying to catch it because it was a chansey and I have a soft spot for them. It wasn't until much later that I considered it might be shiny. Doesn't matter anyway, because I'm pretty sure it ran off. Safari Zone is not a place to shiny hunt.

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I can't shake the feeling that when I was shiny-hunting Rayquaza in US, I think I soft-resetted one while drowsy or distracted. I soft-resetted an estimated 5500 times iirc, and with a 1/4096 chance of being shiny, it seemed likely something had gone wrong or that I skipped one.

6. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I reset my copy of Pokémon X that contained about 3 shiny Pokémon and I only realised what I had done afterwards. I wasn't too torn up over it since I was never too invested in shiny hunting, but it was still a stupid thing of me to do.

7. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    Okay, story time!

So I was playing Pokémon Black, and I'd encountered a shiny Fearow in the route with the caravan that you could trade for a (I think it was) Castform. I caught it no trouble, and continued on my merry way. About ten minutes later, I was called to dinner, so I turned off my game and left. I came back and realised I hadn't saved since about 5 minutes prior to encountering the Fearow.

8. flareon71

Legegg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽392.1
    Twas a bit past the years, perhaps 2011,
    Little me played Heartgold, that game felt like heaven.
    Yet commit newbie crimes, that I still did,
    Be it grinding wrong Pokémon or this Shiny bit, I do not kid.

I just beat gyms of Kanto, and my next target: Mt. Silver.
    The intense Pokémon fan inside me couldn't help but still quiver.
    The fan that knew of all Pokémon, some fluffy or some slimy,
    But most importantly the fan that knew just how valuable was a Shiny.

And so climb the snowy mountain I did, my next objective was Red,
    Dismissed all wild Pokémon, to the top is where I want to head.
    Ran from all the types, be it Rock and some Ground,
    Till I came across a certain Donphan bearing the colour brown.

There was no mistaking it, I saw that gleam clear,
    Really, out of luck, I should've been smiling ear to ear.
    But alas, I was a kid, brain the size of a small crater,
    So I said, "eh, I'll just catch it later."

On that day, a certain blue Run button was pressed.
    And for years I kept such a memory repressed.
    Gone I left the Donphan, a prize to be missed,
    Kept me up at plenty a night, left me quite pissed.

Till one day, Gen 7, I've become quite skilled at breeding shinies,
    Some obscure, some fluffy, could do with some slimies.
    I found my moment of redemption, the moment is now, see,
    Out an Egg came that white Phanpy, "I think I'll call you Brownies."

ChocoChicken likes this.
  9. Flumph

Flumph PKMN Breeder

Azelf (Anniversary)
    (Azelf (Anniversary))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,834.1
    Amulet Coin ★★★
    A truly epic tale. At least it had a nice ending.

10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I caught a shiny Mankey in Leafgreen only to erase my save file several months later.

11. Flumph

Flumph PKMN Breeder

Azelf (Anniversary)
    (Azelf (Anniversary))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,834.1
    Amulet Coin ★★★
    Welp, I found a shiny Houndour after I wasted all my pokeballs on Articuno, then left the cave in frustration and going to route ten to grind up a pinsir I caught for my Bug type team.

12. Saraceaser

Elfea
    (Honedge)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.0
    In Y, I didn't realize it at the time, but I came across a shiny Flabebe while leveling. To be fair, at first glance a shiny Flabebe is hard to tell from a regular Flabebe, and it was only after I realized I saw all the sparkles that it was a shiny, and my first, in fact.

And, later on, I actually found a shiny Mareep in a hoard encounter, and accidentally clicked on Surf instead of Sing and knocked it out.

Two of the only shinies I found in my first playthrough of the game, and both fainted on me. Sigh...

13. Flumph

Flumph PKMN Breeder

Azelf (Anniversary)
    (Azelf (Anniversary))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,834.1
    Amulet Coin ★★★
    Today I remembered another story of my legendary stupidity. I fuckign wonder traded a shiny mudbray because my dumbass thought wonder trading was something much different than "pikipek simulator 2016"

14. Minty Electric

SS Egg 1
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.0
    Oh.

Oh. I have a story.

So waaaaaay back when I was playing Crystal, way before Gen III came out (which is only relevant to give you an idea of just how salty I've been about this), I decided to go catch Lugia. Now, I was saving my Master Ball for one of the roaming legendaries because screw you Entei and Raikou, and back then, cloning Master Balls involved cloning them through a long process and then trading them to yourself and to borrow a dead meme, ain't nobody got time for that.

SO. Here I am, tiny me, with a backpack full of Ultra Balls and a dream in my heart, and I go down into the Whirl Islands with my trusty team and face off against Lugia. First one? Not a shiny. Faints after a long battle in which I run out of Ultra Balls. Second one? Not a shiny. Same thing. Third? Same thing. Fourth?

Mother. Effing. Shiny.

Prepubescent me is amazed, but then she stops. She thinks. She considers the past three attempts at catching this legendary dragon-chicken-thing from Hell. And she realizes, "Hey. I need to be careful. I need something that can whittle it down all the way to 1 HP, so I'm practically guaranteed a catch." So what does my dumb ass do? Use Toxic. (In my defense, I'm pretty sure it knew Recover, but ... that was still really, really dumb.)

So here I am, letting the poison do the work for me, whittling down Lugia as I'm chucking Ultra Balls at it starting from the time its HP hits yellow. But the first ball breaks. The second ball breaks. The third, fourth, fifth ball breaks, all the way until Lugia's got only a sliver of HP left. So I throw my next ball, pray to the then-nonexistent Arceus and...

...that ball breaks, and shiny Lugia dies in the next turn.

I catch the next Lugia, it's not shiny, and I remain pissed off for the next couple of decades.

THE END.

(Also, to add insult to injury, the next three shinies I encounter in my life are a spinda on a Ruby ROM, a vulpix in Silver with Roar, and a graveler in Pearl with Selfdestruct. :') It takes a spritzee in a Friend Safari on Y to free me from the stupidity that is my luck with encountering shinies in the wild by chance.)

Flumph likes this.
  15. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽498.9
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I accidentally killed a shiny oddish because I forgot poison types were weak to ground type moves X(

16. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,121.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    In Sapphire I've knocked out a shiny Pelipper and a shiny Lairon used Roar ending the battle.

In Let's Go a shiny Zubat ran from me.