1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The pen is mightier than the pencil

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Absolute Zero, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Or is it? We all write sometimes, and we probably write mostly on paper, but for the writing instrument, you've got options! Pencil! Pen! Crayon! Fountain pen! And there are options beyond that: Pens filled with the blood of thy enemies? The white crayon only? Number two-and-five-tenths pencil? What is your favorite -- nay, what is the best writing utensil?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    For me, it's the mechanical pencil. Easy to refill, usually very cheap, and erasable! I make a lot of mistakes in my writing, and I like to draw on paper (so obvious). So, I prefer a good mechanical pencil for my daily needs. Maybe a pen for signing, but a Mech. Pen. otherwise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I prefer Mechanical pencils for more than one reason 1. I find those types of pencils everywhere, cause I literally pick up whatever pencils I can (last count 50) 2. I find them easier and more reliable to use 3. I find them to be heavier than most other types of utensils, it really depends on the type of mechanical pencil but for the fancier ones, yeah that is the case, and it helps to keep my tremors under more control and therefore make my handwriting more readable.

4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,152.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I like mechanical pencils because 1- easy to refill and 2- no sharpening. I despise sharpening pencils. My next choice of writing utensil is a gel pen because they write dark and clear. They also seem to come in more colors than your basic black, blue, and red ballpoint pens.

5. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Any pencil really, I make too many mistakes to write in pen.
    But it seems like pencil is only ever allowed in schools, like you can'f do anything with it anywhere else.

6. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Pencils are the best. I would say mechanical pencils instead, but the lead breaks easily and doesn't last very long. Pencils are more reliable long term.

7. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Fountain pens are the best. They write so smoothly and the ink smells nice. I don't know why, but I always cringe slightly when I write on paper with a pencil. The texture just makes me want to grit my teeth and I hate it. It's okay if I'm drawing because art pencils feel different for some reason and I think the grit on paper in sketch books is different from looseleaf paper, but I still kind of feel it. Mechanical pencils are a little better than regular pencils, but they snap too easily.

8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,351.7
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I am a firm believer in the power of the Pen. I find it superior to the Pencil in every way. It's more quiet, it's neater, it's easier to see, and it's harder to lose in a school.

9. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,021.5
    I have a bad history with pens (basically they just never seem to work when I try to use them), so my preferred writing utensil is the pencil. I usually use wooden #2 pencils, though I think I prefer mechanical more.

10. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Calligraphy pen. It's just so majestical to use and I feel like I'm a bit more official when I write with it. On a daily basis though I use a mechanical since it fits my stubby hands.

11. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I just use plain black ballpoint pens usually. If I'm writing a letter to someone I know I might use different coloured fine tip pens, but I am fine with ballpoint pens. Pencils tend to smudge, and I have had too many bad experiences with fountain pens to use those...

12. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    For my daily endeavors, I tend to use a mechanical pencil as they are cheap and have the finer points that I prefer to work with. I do a lot of drafts for school (modeling and financial reporting), so erase-ability is paramount. More permanent or meaningful work is done in pen, though. Pen has a lot of "weight" as it is generally permanent and it is more visible than pencil usually is.

13. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I normally prefer simple ballpoint pens, whether it be black or dark blue. Mechanical pencils are very nice, but they break too often for me to really like them. Simple ballpoint pens just feel nice and are more visible. Regular pencils are also good, but aren't exactly the best option for carrying in your pocket from place to place.

14. manaphy2

manaphy2 Sailor

Reefus
    (Carvanha)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽752.0
    It comes down to the comfort and simplicity of a Faber-Castell tri-grip pencil for me. Well, really any pencil is good, but I have my preferences...
    Only when I feel confident do I put hand to pen.

15. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I'm gonna say for school since I don't really write a lot outside of there.
    Tbh I don't like writing too much with a ballpoint pen, I only do so for stuff like titles. I want to be able to erase mistakes and I think white-out kinda sucks. Which is why I have this awesome combo:
    - a fountain pen, my most used- I love the feeling/effect of it and most importantly, it can be erased…
    - by the eraser pen, whose purpose is pretty obvious x) I never use the blue end ever though, cause…
    - there's the frixion erasable pen! Which I use to go over erased text- this way if make a mistake again, I can still correct it! It is not my main pen since it doesn't look as pretty as the fountain pen. I use it directly sometimes tho like when I can only bring one pen

16. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Reasons:
    For Pencil-I Chosen The Mechanical Pen Because It Is Not Also It Is Common And Able To Refill. It Is Actually Because It Is Perfect For Sketching And Writing Fast. I Currently Using 0.5mm Tip And 2B Lead.

For Pen, I Chosen Gel Rollerball Because Like Pencil, Able To Write Fast Than Usual Plus Its Tip Thickness Is What Make Writing Faster And Neater. Currently Using 0.38mm, Rarely Using 0.5m.

The Product I Used:

Pencil:

• Rexgrip Series From Pilot
    • Shaker From Pilot
    • Energize From Pentel
    • Shalaku From Uni

Pen:
    • Uni-Ball Signo DX Series From Uni (Collected Sakura Version As Well)
    • Sarasa Clip Series From Zebra (Had Also Collected Some Limited-Edition Version + Rare Study Version Which I Kept But Did Not Use)
    • Uni-Ball Signo RT Series From Uni (Used Dot Limited Edition Version)

17. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I prefer mechanical pencils since they’re the only writing utensil that my handwriting looks decent in. Whenever I use something else, it’s barely legible.

18. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I usually stick to mechanical pencils, because I don't have to sharpen them or replace them nearly as often. I sometimes write in pen when I have something that I want to be more permanent, so it won't fade, but because of the way that I write, I smear my hand across the paper and everything gets blurred. The same problem happens with regular pencils too. Mechanical pencils don't leave enough of a mark to smear as much.

19. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Mechanical pencils. Why? Simply because I don't need to sharpen them and regular pencils are just to thick for my hand. I prefer smaller pencils to hold and not having to get up in the middle of a lecture to sharpen a pencil...with 400 people to each side of me...with no pencil sharpener in the room. Pen smear and I can't erase the mistakes I make so I generally only use pens to write my name.

20. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Normal pencils, as they just work fine for me. Also, it's the only knind of writing instrument I can write somehow neat with. Haven't tried mechanical pencils, as I've feel like I don't need them.