1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen II & IV: Whitney

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Sheep, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Whitney has been known for being a difficult gym leader to beat due to her Miltank's bulk and Rollout + Milk Drink. Players who chose Cyndaquil as their starter seemed to have an especially hard time because of its weakness to Rollout. How did you guys fare against the battle with Whitney? Did you lose to her, or did you find the battle to be fairly easy?

tbh she wrecked every starter I used at least once before because Milk Drink
    I had to resort to Smokescreen spam when using Cyndaquil to make Rollout less of a pain to deal with @_@

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Whitney has always been difficult, regardless if I went Cyndaquil, Chikorita, or Totodile (I usually do Cyndaquil but have played through with all 3 starters at least once). I once took 3 weeks to beat Whitney when I was younger, and I think I had Chikorita that run.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    [​IMG]

Kind of like LoZ OoT's Water Temple, I actually never paid attention to Whitney being difficult despite how much of a meme each of these thing's became for their disproportionate difficulty. I don't know how I got around it way back in Gen 2 or even Gen 4, I probably just did my best with Croconaw and made it eventually without any psychologically scarring. I mostly find it funny how everyone else goes on about the difficulty of it while I can't even remember doing it.

If anything, I've actually learned to have an intense appreciation to her tactic. The few times I've won in competitive battling have been because of Ice Ball and/or Rollout. My hat is off to you, Whitney, for discovering my favorite technique before I discovered it.

Attached Files:

4. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    Let me think... I usually trained excessively, and I remember being able to get one of the Eeveelutions before battling (thanks to Bill giving you an Eevee when you found him on the left side of the city). I fond her fairly easy with my amount of training, but I would still call her difficult. She was nothing short of annoying, and I was always on the offensive. If I was lucky and poisoned her, then I was glad since that would do its own work while I did my own in trying not to die. But other than that, I found it a fun battle overall. Quilava and Umbreon were my lifelines during that battle, as opposed to my more common Bug and Normal attackers.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Doesn't Bill only show up in Goldenrod and give you the Eevee after you bump into him at the PokeCentre in Eucreteak, which you can only reach after beating Whitney? Or is that just HG/SS?

Anyway, I remember losing my first time against Miltank in Silver. What I didn't know back then was that Defence Curl doubled the power of Rollout, so it took me awhile before I managed to beat her - I think I had to resort to the traded Machop in the Department Store and overlevel him. When I got SoulSilver, I was a lot more knowledgeable (especially having written a walkthrough for Emerald and destroyed Platinum), so clearing Whitney was a fair bit easier. However, even with all that said she was still a challenge, and has become the standard that I measure all Gym Leaders against (the reason Sabrina doesn't fit this is because, back in R/B/Y, Psychic-types were broken, but by the time FR/LG came out I had a method for cheesing her fight).

6. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,034.9
    At first, I failed spectacularly against her. So I did some research and discovered the Fighting type weakness. Since then, she was no trouble at all.

7. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    My first time through HG/SS, I had all sorts of trouble with Whitney. While she still is a pain, she isn't near as hard to me anymore. Her team is just meant to troll and stall, imo.She is a good first time challenge, but just gets easier after the player learns the game more.

8. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I...honestly don't remember my first encounter with Whitney. Back then I had the brilliant idea of using the Cyndaquil family in 95% of all battles, causing me to be way overleveled most likely against her in Crystal. Though even years later in my first and only playthrough of SoulSilver, I had no problems with her thanks to the same strategy.

9. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    Whitney works as a perfect noobslayer. Any kind of strategy can win against a mon that just spams the same attacks over and over, but new players will have trouble against such thing because of Miltank's relatively high stats.
    It is sad that, as almost all players just play it easy and keep the switch mode instead of set, Miltank won't usually get to revenge kill anything T_T

10. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Well I don't really remember how my first attempt against her was but it was probably no better than most others.

Now well that really depends on how lucky I am with my encounters since I mainly do nuzlocke runs, if I have a Geodude or one of the Nidorans is gonna be easy, if I don't well then it was be mixed depending on what I have on hand.

11. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I don't remember having any trouble battling Whitney when I first played Silver as a kid. I have found her Miltank to be fairly tough on later playthroughs, but never as hard to beat as other people seem to find her.

12. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Legit in Crystal I had to level my Quilava to evolution to take her, it was hell because the stupid thing stopped listening to me after it got too strong.
    She was easier in HGSS I find?

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I battled her Miltank with a Togepi and used Metronome. It rolled Fissure. I won.

._.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  14. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    My battle with her was really easy. First in HG/SS I steamrolled through her with just a Croconaw, and recently I played the original games and I defeated her the exact same way I did the first time.