1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Five Games that Describe Your Video Game Tastes!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Necromancer, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Persona!!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 76
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,689.2
    I recently saw this idea, and thought I should make a thread for it! The goal is simple: to come up with five video games that describe your overall preference for video games. These don't have to be your five favorite games, rather five games that give a good impression of what you enjoy playing. I'll give an example:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles- I thoroughly enjoy games that are story-driven, often with a great soundtrack alongside it. Graphics aren't overly important to me as long as the game is functional.
    2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate- Nintendo makes great casual games, and I greatly enjoy Super Smash Bros. in particular. Games that allow me to spend time with friends are a huge bonus!
    3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses- Tactical games are a no-brainer for my taste in games. Additionally, I do enjoy games that give you a lot of flexibility and replayability in how it can be approached.
    4. Star Wars Battlefront (2005)- Surprisingly enough, I do like a fair amount of Shooting games. However, I like to have some sort of fun twist to it, giving each game identity and life.
    5. TESV: Skyrim- I enjoy a nice open world game from time to time, especially games with a lot of content. The longer a game keeps me occupied, the better.

What five games best describe YOUR tastes?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Infernostar

Infernostar Poké Maniac

Kagero
    (Nincada)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽694.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Hmmm.... I'll say these 5.

1. Bayonetta 2: Fast, fluid combat combined with over the top style, the Platinum Games specialty is something I never get tired of.
    2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Creativity is something I highly value in a game, especially if you can get inventive with your level design.
    3. Metroid Prime: I find atmosphere to be pretty hard to convey well, but if you can pull it off right you can make a breathtaking experience.
    4. Super Monkey Ball 2: Precision and brutal challenge for some reason is something I value. No RNG, no surprises or tricks, just a clear cut goal and you have to get there.
    5. Street Fighter III: Third Strike: Nothing beats a good 1 on 1 fight. Doesn't have to be complex, but so long as there is enough meat on it for growth and experimentation, then I am satisfied.

Necromancer likes this.
  3. HiddenLore

Venom
    (Venipede)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,873.0
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Let's see...
    1. Minecraft- I like the freedom and ability to just get on and create. It's the only game I play with any kind of multiplayer, though to be fair, that mainly boils down to me playing by myself with other people.
    2. Terraria- Basically the same as Minecraft but with a better progression built in. It can be harder to create here though, so I mostly wander caves.
    3. Portal (1/2) - I like the puzzle solving and story elements of these games, the characters are interesting as well, but the games lack just a little of the replayability. every once in a awhile I go through them though.
    4. Pokémon- I'm actually not a big fan of the constant grinding and battling, but I love the designs and the worlds. I tend to spend most of my Pokémon time building teams to take through a game. they're never high caliber competitors, but just fun ways to get to know new Pokémon.
    5. Any LEGO version of a story- I love the silly retelling of stories through the LEGO lens. these are fun to play and usually give you a decent amount of replayability. If you have a friend/sibling to play with, even better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽738.1
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Give me a moment to think about this one...
    1. Spyro the Dragon - The first game I ever played and completed 100%. The Reignited Trilogy is now one of my favorite video games of all time, especially now that it's on the Nintendo Switch. Also, this is the one game besides Pokémon that helped bond my family together, as we all played it back in the day.
    2. Pokémon - Ever since I watched the anime as a kid in the late 90's, I've become a die-hard fan of the series. The interesting settings and designs of each Pokémon, as well as playing through the games again on challenge runs, keep me engaged for a very long time. Not to mention, it's been one of my biggest sources of art inspiration for years.
    3. Kirby - Any Kirby game fits this segment, but what got me into the series was, funny enough, Epic Yarn. Although you can't get a game over from this game in particular, the cute and cozy aesthetic was what really pulled me in. Anything made of yarn or similar crafting materials is almost immediately an instant hit for me.
    4. Minecraft - I simply love building things. For the most part, I play Minecraft to make structures and buildings so I get a perspective on how to draw them. Dragon Quest Builders (1 & 2) is similar, though the story in those games was what really got me hooked.
    5. Celeste - An indie game that I highly recommend if you like challenging platforming games and deep narratives. Simply put, the game is about climbing a mountain, both literally and metaphorically. I was told this game tackles the subject matter of mental issues (such as anxiety), and I really wanted to challenge myself and try something new. This game's story resonates deeply in my soul, and I died roughly over a thousand times during my first play-through without any assistance and still made it to the end despite one or two rage-quits breaks.
    Of note, Celeste just received a new DLC update recently that included a brand new level. And, of course, it's even more difficult than the main game. But all those hundreds of deaths was worth seeing the ending for myself.

#4 Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. WavePearl

Serenity
    (Cresselia)
    Level 31
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,909.0
    Pokémon, of course--the world is just so vast, and the sheer number of things that are never explained just gets my imagination going.
    Super Mario Bros.--One of my very earliest memories is my dad playing the original game on ye olde NES; and I love the deceptively challenging levels
    The Legend of Zelda--I love me an epic quest, and Zelda delivers consistently on that front. Great music and clever puzzles and dungeons help, as well.
    Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest--I love a vast world filled with colorful characters, and these classic RPGs fit the bill perfectly
    Super Smash Bros.--Multiplayer is where this series shines; and I love a good friendly competition. I will do my best to win, but I know how to lose gracefully.

#5 Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. GhastEmpoleon

GhastEmpoleon Summerween Trickster

Darkwing
    (Murkrow)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽609.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I’ve only played like 3 video games so this won’t be too hard to pick.
    1. Pokémon- great OST, wide variety of Pokémon... there are too many factors to list.
    2. Kirby- I really love cute things, so these games are perfect for me. It also has a slight hint of horror. (This would mainly be the soul fights.)
    3. Smash Bros- a fighting game that stands out for its unique roster of characters.
    4. Undertale- great OST, plenty of hidden secrets. Also, there’s lots of memes surrounding it, and I like memes.
    5. The Legendary Starfy- this game doesn’t get enough attention! I got it as a Christmas gift a very long time ago, and I loved it so much. It’s a very cute game.

7. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Growlie
    (Growlithe)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,414.2
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    1. Spyro- large worlds with believable inhabitants and enemies that make sense, with some nice witty conversation between player character and npcs. Also, collectathons
    2. Pokémon- World building (or some attempt at it) full of many unique monsters that you can befriend and take with you. Side events/games that lead to you and your monster companions to have better friendship-and having that friendship assist in the meat of the game. ALSO, COLLECTATHONS
    3. Undertale- Deep story with characters you can't help but come to love, amazing music (to the point that no one has yet to make them horrific, even when intentionally messing with the song-such as switching bars around), and many options on how to play-which alter the ending in some way or another.
    4. Kirby- Easy to beat but hard to complete, Story sounds cute but gets dark and deep over time/reading into it. Many options on how to play, although it might not alter the ending (unless the ending changes at 100%)
    5. NiGHTS- Surreal, bright worlds and a unique playstyle.

8. Web

Web Spooky Cosmog Enthusiast

Sentient Vinyl Record
    (Bronzor)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.6
    Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    1. Lanota: Outside of some brief story segments, the only real gameplay in Lanota is playing along to the beat. That is fine because all I need in a rhythm game is pleasant music and challenging gameplay that pushes me to improve.

2. Persona 5: Any turn based role playing game that still plays at a decent pace is a winner in my book. I also love social simulator sections that encourage you to manage your time effectively (getting to see the cast in more casual settings is nice as well).

3. Stardew Valley: This game gives the player plenty of choices in how they wish to spend their time and makes each activity rewarding. Seemingly mundane things like farming, mining, and fishing are designed in a way that feels relaxing.

4. Zero Escape Virtue’s Last Reward: Visual novels with narratives that make you feel like you are experiencing the events on screen are some of my favorites. I chose this game since it not only does that, but because it also incorporates non-linear story telling.

5. Starbound: You are given a 2D universe to explore and are allowed to approach it however you wish. Unlike No Man’s Sky, there are plenty of interesting creatures and locals to find.

9. Gazi

Gazi Rival

Flare
    (Litwick)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽167.3
    Alright, let's give this a go.
    Banjo Tooie: I enjoy collectathons, especially when the style is colorful, playful, and unique.

Pokémon: I like games where you're raising pets, and Pokémon has the added bonus of actually having a story and goal. And in some ways I actually do enjoy the grinding.

Kirby Air Ride: Just a fun time that I can play when I have a few minutes to spare and want something to do. Doesn't require a lot of thought, and it's mundane and repetitive in the very best way.

Mario: I like the small goals and challenges that I'm given (get the star) to accomplish a bigger goal (save the princess). And the worlds are always a lot of fun to explore. Also, the games are usually hard enough to be a challenge to complete 100%, but not so hard that it makes me want to give up.

Zelda: Lore. Not so much that I can't understand what's going on, but enough that it really gets me thinking, and I also get to know the characters on a more personal level.